Here’s a list of a few traits that can change you from a good spouse to a great spouse:
* First and foremost in any relationship it is important to first believe in yourself because that will help you in believing your partner.
* Express love whenever possible – You might not like your spouse’s behaviour always, but let your mate know that your love is forever. Say I Love You whenever you can.
* Listen to your spouse and try to understand him / her – Your spouse might not always say things that please your ears but try to listen and understand his / her point of view.
Listening Tips –
* Your spouse expects honesty of opinions from you. So, don’t be phony in your praise or support of what your spouse has done or is considering doing in future to keep your matrimony Hassel free.
* Admit your mistake – Always be willing to apologize and at the same time ask for forgiveness. Also, forgive, as they say forgiveness is the biggest virtue.
* Communicate honestly to your life partner not only your thoughts but also your feelings.
Communication Tips –
* Keep your promises – Never make false promises to your partner. At least try to fulfill those promises that are in your capability.
* Be kind – Show respect, trust, appreciation, consideration and kindness whenever it is required. This way, your spouse will also show the same feeling towards you.
* Don’t fight – Try resolving past and present issues and handle conflicts in a healthy way.
* Give space – In a relationship, it is very important to give each other space and respect it too.
* Take care of things like:
• How you are spending your time and money and try to maintain a balance in professional and personal life
• Having fun together – To have a fun-filled married life, it is important for you and your life partner to have fun together. Make sure that you take time-out from your daily chores and watch a movie together, go out for dinner or go out for weekend holidays.
• Enjoying each other’s company – You should feel happy and content in each other’s company. In fact, you should not feel the need of a third person when you are together.
• Solving problems together – If ever there is a problem, try solving it together. Do discuss about your problems and issues with your spouse.
• Handling consequences of decisions made by you and your spouse – If a decision made by you or your spouse turned futile make sure that you handle its consequences together. Don’t just let your spouse suffer alone.
• Sharing the responsibilities of parenting and household chores – Always share the responsibility of your kids and households for a successful married life.
Also to become a great spouse, you need to be careful in the way you talk to each other. As any negative comment can hurt your life partner and thus hamper your matrimonial relationship with him / her.
Here’s what you should and what you should not say to your life partner:
Don’t ever use negative phrases like:
What did you do all day around here?
What is your problem?
I’m still thinking about it.
Give me a break.
What did you say, I don’t remember?
It’s all your fault!
I told you…
You’re just like your mother/father.
Why is it always my fault?
You never understand…
You don’t love me anymore.
You don’t listen to me.
My way is the only way… got it?
And what have you been up to?
I don’t care.
Always use phrases like to make your spouse happy:
I love you.
That’s neat… great job!
Thanks for marrying me.
Let’s eat out tonight.
You look super.
I’m so glad we’re married.
Our kids couldn’t ask for a better mom/dad.
Like a back rub?
Let’s do something fun together… a movie or a walk?
I need your help.
Are you feeling alright?
What you say matters a lot to your life partner. So, be careful in the way you talk to your life partner. At times, even small things said without thinking can hurt your spouse a lot.
These small things if taken care of can help you lead a happy married life.